I Needed A Place To Think

If you are a creative person and find yourself in the position that you are not able to create the things that you want, either because how your life is going right now or perhaps your energy is spent most days at an eight hour shift at a job that does not contribute to the things you want to do, you will find a place that will. But sometimes the couch where you often fall asleep to wake up to go right back to work just isn't enough.

So today I decided I needed to think. Though I am left alone most of the time and have everything I need to be productive in my work, my home office filled with half worked projects and unfulfilled ideas just doesn't inspire me. There are simply too many distractions in the mess I surround myself with. So I went here.


Though I was still in my office, I had transported myself through space and time to the closest survivable distance of a far off star not much unlike our own sun. I was of course wearing the Oculus Rift Devkit 2 in order to make this a reality, since the technology to do this in real life is still pretty far off. But this is the closest thing I can imagine to experience. The game is called Elite: Dangerous. When it comes to space simulators, this is pretty much the most immersive and best looking thing out there right now.

I had prior to this voyage put on a music playlist featuring only the most soothing relaxing music I could find, and as I slowly drifted towards this great star, one of my favorite musical pieces started playing. "Passacaglia" by Handel/Halvorsen, also known as "the impossible duet". And there I sat and thought, and I could seriously feel my heart rate slowing down until I didn't want to move a single muscle. A warning popped up saying I was too close to the star, and the temperature gauge was off the charts, but I kept drifting. Then my dashboard started sparking as my ship could not take the heat. And then something happened. The sparks and errors my ship produced became synced with the music I was listening to. It was beautiful. I didn't want to leave. This was it. I was there. And as I stared into the sun those last few seconds, I was happy. I genuinely felt physically rewarded for that experience. I closed my eyes and my ship blew up, leaving me motionless in space. I almost fell asleep.

After this experience I felt energized, like someone recharged my batteries. I wrote down some ideas, and I have to say it was only possible because of my close encounter with a sun. I'm going to continue to find new ways to experience games and music like this. Perhaps make something out of it one day. The Oculus Rift is in my opinion a clear contender in the meditation field.

I know for a fact I'm going to sleep extremely well tonight.

Kommentarer

Populære innlegg fra denne bloggen

When Google becomes your eyes.

I Found My Canvas - The Oculus Rift